Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Home Again

My brief hiatus from Warcraft was a very good thing. I feel refreshed and alert and excited to play again. The game is interesting again, and logging back into Stormwind after 11 days felt like coming home from vacation - you miss the time off, but you're also glad to wrap familiar blankets around yourself.

I immediately picked up the Fishing, Cooking and Jewelcrafting dailies and did them, before guildies logged in and we did a random or two and then some chit-chat later, I logged off. Tuesday and Wednesday we raided, much much much more successfully than the last few weeks when we struggled with easy bosses, we just sort of steamrolled past content that would give us a pause even two weeks ago like Maloriak or Atramedes.

Last night, we even picked up our first kill of Valiona and Theralion after three pulls, once a PuG helped us refine our strat a little bit and we managed to recruit a couple of them into the guild. I don't know why we put the drakes off for so long - such an easy fight. And we're going back in tonight to see if we can wrap up Chimeron once and for all, while getting some time in on Ascendant Council.



Did I mention I haven't played in two weeks, more or less, and a lot of the guild also took much of that time off to just take a break?

Outside of raid, I don't feel pressured to run and do stuff. I logged in to do dailies, or raid, leveled my alt a little bit for 30 minutes or so, worked on the Auction House and then logged while guildies ran dungeons. It feels good to log in and have an active, engaged, involved, self-sufficient group.

Also, during my break, I briefly flirted with the game that starts with the letter "R" and found it to be beautiful, well-designed, polished, just lovely - but it lacked a certain je ne sais quoi that keeps me engaged in WoW. Maybe it's friends. Regardless, it let me know that if the WoW servers ever went away, I'd have someplace to go and be someone awesome to be with a sword and a board.

3 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, I'm really glad to hear it!

    p.s. you should open your Twitter sometime, I was talking to you! Someone on my friend's list expressed an interest in reading your fiction contest winning story(!) but I didn't want to share it without your permission. I couldn't seem to find it here if you had posted it here.

    Anyway, congrats on the kills! I also picked up a certain game that starts with R, and it's fun, but... Maybe it is the people that were missing, I'm not sure. I don't think I'll continue my subscription there, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! I forget about Twitter for stretches at a time because it's blocked at work, even though I have access to it over my phone.

    I should put that story up here, I guess, since Blizzard didn't say don't, and I can't see why not.

    The "R" game is fun, yes, and the Rifts provide a nice break from the linear questing and it *is* so pretty, but my jaw-drop moment was during my first full-scale major invasion when 30 or 40 rifts opened up at once. Stunning.

    I think I'd enjoy the game but yes, the lack of my people made it a lonely existence. I won't sub up either when the month is out. But if I had all the time in the world, I probably would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well place break is worth its weight in gold and not the AH kind. There are times when you get to that point that its just time....time you need to take away, from the drama, wipes and people who want to make life hell on others by standing in goop on the floor.

    Welcome back and enjoy the game for what it is. I love wow but needed a break as well, the only thing I came back and haven't progressed as much but it still feels good to raid, hang in vent and chat "friends" up about the game or life.

    ReplyDelete