Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Guest Post: Doing The 'Mog Right

I know plenty of awesome 'Mogeres but none who've decked out every one of their alts in awesome and unique sets like my co-tank and DK extraordinaire, Miss Maara. I've convinced her to write out her process and guide, and she was gracious enough to do a guest post. There are 5 distinct sets listed here, and they really show the breadth of her design, from a very practical outfits for her Priest and Mage to the more ethereal and gloomy outfit for her Druid. The 'mogs on the Shaman and DK are a blending of the two, with more flash and cool-factor built in. If you're looking for some custom and unique sets, these might give you some ideas. I love 'em - enjoy!

--

My friend and fellow Turtle Saif has asked me to write a guest blog for Raiding After Dark on the subject of Transmogrification. Here's my go at it, but please don't blame me if it sucks. Blame Saif. It was totally his idea.


I guess the basic root of finding a good 'mog set is determining what, exactly, makes a look "good." This, of course, is extremely subjective. Some people love shiny sparklies while others prefer a more subdued look. Still others favor a look from an old raid set from the Days of Yore.

Buuuuuut, since Saif asked Yours Truly, you'll get my opinion and you'll like it!

Generally speaking, my philosophy for creating a solid 'mog look is to pick one or two items that you want to showcase, and choose the rest of the outfit around that. That piece can be thematic to the character, or simply awesome-looking, but whatever it is, the key is to make it shine (and I don't mean literally.)

To illustrate, I'll go though a few examples of this philosophy.


This is my shaman, Lumena. She's not my main, but she's my most showy 'mog currently. It took me a while to decide how to show her off... the draenei are somewhat under-represented lore-wise, so I decided on a look that was mostly "draenei" with less emphasis on the wild, shaman-y aspect. My starting point was actually the shield, though it was the last item I managed to acquire. It was uniquely draenei-looking, and the set flowed from that. I was lucky that the entire [Steadfast] set fit well, with a sort of aged, yet polished look. The [Mantle of the Sea Wolf] are the dash of shaman, and I chose them for that along with the color scheme that fit so well. The [Vicious Spellblade] I chose simply because its ambient effect overwrites any enchant effect and Power Torrent gives me a headache.


An outfit doesn't have to "match" though, to be a solid look. My mage, Kaelie, for example, or my priest, Lilienne, both sport looks that are more subdued. My mage I picture as something of a woodsy, active sort of person. I started with the [Legwraps of the Master Conjurer], a texture I'd noticed and loved back in Wrath. The rest just sort of fell into place... so many chest items look great with them! Once more, I chose a dagger based on mageyness and the ability to nullify the Power Torrent appearance.


Similarly, with my priest, I wanted her to look like a priest-on-the-go. (She served at the Cathedral in Gilneas, but is now at home in Stormwind). Her mace was the main piece of the set, and I let it carry the rest, keeping her simple and (I hope) subtle.


The set I am most proud of at the moment is my DK's frost gear. I started with a shoulder model, [Chilled Shoulderplates], that I absolutely loved. I wanted to convey the idea of a frozen, fallen Sentinel, so I chose smooth armor that matched the plate of the shoulders. I also loves the pattern on [Permafrost Cape], so when weapons don't clip it, I turn it on. For the weapons themselves I am currently 'mogged to [Stellaris] because it feels almost like a Night Elf glaive, but I've also enjoyed the look of [Teldrassil Protector], because it is very much in keeping with Maara's theme and color scheme.


Most recently I've put together a look for my resto druid, who is something of a wanna-be-devotee of Malorne (and the self-appointed intern of Elrahd). The center item for her was the [Druidic Helmet of Second Sight] and the rest followed easily enough. I find that matching your cloak to either your helm or your shoulder piece allows for a consistent look while still contrasting nicely with any given look. I'm not entirely happy with it, but the ideal black leather pieces drop from ToC and will take longer to get! For now the  basic leather set works nicely and [Brutal Gladiator's Staff] is perfect to accent it.

Yeah, maybe I have a 'mogging addiction. Maybe it's some deep-seated girly urge to play dress-up. Whatever it is, I love transmogrification!

The next set on the table is going to be a tougher one to tackle: my little gnome Gnelly is convinced that she's a hunter and once she's 85 I'm determined to have her look like one. My plan is something along the lines of this, but I guess we'll see how it goes!


For anyone wanting to play with hunting down great transmogrification ideas, Mogit is a fantastic addon, if you have the space to run it. Otherwise, just find an item you love, and just choose everything else with it its awesomeness in mind! Even if you have a favorite pair of boots, or an extra lucky hat, you're already halfway to an awesome 'mog!

--

If you're interested, here are the complete looks above:

Lumena (Shaman)

Head: Steadfast Coronet
Shoulder: Mantle of the Sea Wolf
Chest: Steadfast Breastplate
Wrist:Steadfast Bracelets
Hands: Steadfast Gloves
Waist: Steadfast Girdle
Legs: Steadfast Legplates
Feet: Steadfast Stompers
Dagger: Vicious Spellblade
Shield: Aldori Legacy Defender

Maara (Death Knight)

Head: Warleader's Crown
Shoulders: Chilled Shoulderplates
Chest: Heroic Armor
Hands: Truesilver Gauntlets
Waist: Grimscale Belt
Legs: Heroic Legplates
Feet: Vicious Gladiators Warboots of Alacrity
Axes: Stellaris
Back: Permafrost Cape

Lilienne (Priest)

Shoulder: Double-stitched Woolen Shoulders
Chest: Aurora Armor
Shirt: Rustic Workman's Shirt
Wrist: Archmage Bracelets
Hands: Heavy Linen Gloves
Waist: Bloodthirsty Embersilk Belt
Legs: Regal Leggings
Feet: Archmage Slippers
Mace: Mogor's Anointing Club
Offhand: Divine Companion

Celaen (Druid)

Head: Druidic Helmet of Second Sight
Shoulder: Hide of the Lone Hunter
Back: Proudmoore Cloak
Chest: Vest of Discovery
Shirt: Stylish Black Shirt
Hands: Infectis Puffer Gloves
Waist: Ghostwalker Belt
Legs: Golly Gosh Leggings
Feet: Grazle's Sandals
Staff: Brutal Gladiator's Staff

Kaelie (Mage)

Shoulders: Laughing Skull Shoulderpads
Back: Cloak of Insomnia
Chest: Mooncloth Vest
Shirt: Blue Lumberjack Shirt
Wrist: Laughing Skull Bracelets
Hands: Black Mageweave Gloves
Waist: Black Belt of Knowledge
Legs: Legwraps of the Master Conjurer
Feet: Kayser's Boots of Precision
Dagger: Jaded Crystal Dagger
Offhand: Globe of Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment